- How do I use Drive2day?
Here you can find drivers who take you along in their car. You have to pay them a fare, so that they drive you from one city to another.
Sharing rides saves you a lot of money. Usually you save about 75 % in comparison to traveling by train or airplane.
Using our ridesharing service to find drivers who take you along and membership on this website are 100% cost free!
- How much does a ride cost?
The fare depends on many factors (like gasoline consumption) and varies from driver to driver. The actual fare usually shows in the drivers ride entry.
For example, on average drivers charge around 5€ per 100 km. A trip from Berlin to Hamburg would cost approx. 20€.
- Is it safe to use Drive2day?
Ridesharing is very safe, because drivers have to register to get in contact with passengers and leave their phone number and other details.
If you want to be sure you can send the drivers license plate number via SMS to friend or check the passport of the driver.
Women who wish to drive along with women only can create rides which are only for women.
- How do I find a driver/ride?
Use our search form oder city list from A-Z to find rides.
- I have found an offer which matches my search criteria. What now?
1. Call the driver on his phone number.
2. Introduce yourself by first and/or last name and tell him that you are interested in his offer. Ask him whether or not he has time now (he might be busy) or if you should call back later.
3. Tell him the date of the ride and the departure and destination city. That's important because he probably travels frequently and might have stopovers in other cities. For example he might drive weekly from Frankfurt via Nürnberg to Münich!
4. Note down the outcome of the conversation, to keep an overview over the ride inquiries you have made.
5. If the driver has accepted/confirmed your request, then mark the ride as confirmed and print out the ride details !
- What's should I ask/tell the driver?
If you have luggage to carry along, then you have to inform the driver in advance about how much luggage you have. Otherwise he might not be able to take the luggage along - which would be very bad for you.
If you carry pets along, then you have to get permission from the driver in advance. Some people are allergic to pets like cats and dog. It can be even life threatening for them. So tell him about your pets beforehand and get permission!
Clarify where you will exactly meet. Tell the driver how you look like. Ask him how you can identify him! You and him should upload a profile picture so you can easily recognize each other on the day the ride takes place.
Ask the driver what else you have to consider. It's important to communicate well and plenty with each other - then nothing will go wrong! The more questions, the better.
- Where and when will I be picked up and dropped off?
The driver's ride entry might show meeting points where he picks up and drops off passengers. You can tell him, which off these meeting points suits you best!
Some drivers pick up passenger from home and drop them off at the door at the final destination. Usually they do that against a surcharge. Ask your driver, if he is willing to do door-to-door pickup/drop off, if you pay him extra.
- How much luggage may I take with me?
That depends on the driver, his car and how much luggage other passengers take along. Import is that you tell the driver about luggage you need to take with you. Otherwise you might run out of space and somebody will not be able to take any luggage along. Usually that's the person who did not ask beforehand or made false luggage declarations (to little).
If you want to take luggage along, then it's essential that you tell the driver exactly how much luggage you have. We can't repeat this often enough!
- When do I have to pay for the ride?
The fare has to be paid at departure time, during the trip while heaving a short break or at the destination. That is up to the driver. It's fair to pay the fare during the trip for example while stoping at a gasoline station.
Make sure that you have enough money to pay the driver. And that you have change. Do not pay with 50 or 100 € bills! If the driver does not have enough change, he won't be able to pay you back. Best ist to take the exact amount with you. For example, take a 20€ bill and a 2€ coin if the ride costs 22€.
- How much time in advance should I look for a ride/driver?
Ridesharing is short term matter. You can contact the driver in very little time in advance. We recommend 2-7 days in advance.
- How do I find the driver on location?
1. Most important: Take your mobile phone with you and make sure that the battery is fully charged!
2. Print out and take along the ride details which contains the driver's phone number and possibly description of the meeting point!
3. Upload a profile picture of yours, so that the driver can recognize you at location. Have a look at the driver's profile picture so you can recognize him too.
- I'm late on location. What should I do?
If you recognize you will be late, then send the driver a SMS an inform him about how many minutes you will be late. Be realistic in your estimation.
Call the driver at the time of departure (but NOT before!) and confirm him, that you are on your way and will arrive. Most important is that he hears from you!
- What should I do if the driver is not on location?
Do not call there driver before departure time, because he is most likely in the car on his way to you and can speak over the phone. Wait and be calm.
Check the meeting point and keep an eye out. The driver is probably late and tries to get to you as soon as possible, but can't call you because he is driving. Your best bet is to wait and send a SMS, letting him know, that you will wait for him until he shows up!
- What is to be considered shortly before the ride starts?
Make sure that you have the correct driver! At popular locations like main train station there might be several drivers and passengers showing up. To avoid mix-ups tell the driver the destination city and the fare he asked you to pay. This way you won't find out in the car after having driven 2 hours that you are going in the wrong direction.
- What's to be considered during the trip?Worauf sollte ich während der Fahrt achten?
Manners and respect for each other should be self-evident for you and the driver. If you would like to eat in the car, politely ask the driver and accept a no for an answer. You can also eat something during a break.
- What's to be considered at arrival?
Make sure you have not lost anything in the car. Make sure that you do not leave anything behind and that you have your wallet, keys and handy with you. Sometimes stuff falls out of your pockets unnoticed by you and the driver.
Take trash of yours, like empty water bottles or cans with you to not upset the driver.